The Sales Manager (SM) is responsible for growing the company’s import / export logistics business in an assigned territory, in accordance with corporate objectives (i.e. revenue & profit targets, product growth initiatives, etc.). The SM serves as the main sales contact point for prospects and the sales account owner for customers assigned in their region. They must also find and develop qualified leads, then convert them through the sales process into prospects and customers.
The SM is a highly motivated individual with a strong import/export ocean (NVOCC) and air transportation skill set, capable of developing compelling value propositions that foster strong relationships.
Essential Job Functions:
- Find & develop qualified leads (cold calling), then convert them through the sales process into prospects and customers.
- Continuously keep the sales pipeline full with deals at various types and stages, including new (qualified) leads/introductions, mid and late stage sales life cycle targets.
- The ideal sales pipeline will always be full with a wide variety of account types, company sizes, diversified industries, transactional vs. strategic business and services offered.
- Performs regular (daily) visits to qualified prospects and customers, in accordance with Managements directives, to drive the business and grow the company’s revenue, market share and profitability.
- Builds relationships at all levels and represents the company in a professional manner, including making presentations.
- Conducts quarterly business reviews (QBRs) with clients.
- Self manages various administrative aspects including:
- Expense reporting in accordance with company’s budget and travel policy.
- Achieves the annual growth targets (revenue, profit, volume)
- Must be capable of closing business independently, although management team / corporate support are readily available.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of related outside sales experience, with a demonstrable book of business and strong shipper relationships in diversified industries.
- Relevant (functionally specific) job knowledge and experience, including ocean
- (NVOCC) & air freight, both import and export.
- Ability to sell/represent the company other lines of business including consolidation/CFS and related value added information services.
- A unique combination of good interpersonal and communications/presentation skills, both written and oral, coupled with a sharp business acumen and consultative sales approach.