We are assisting in the hiring of an experienced Import Manager in the Los Angeles area for a global logistics company
Location: Torrance, CA
Role: Import Manager - Licensed Customs House Broker
Salary: $70,000-$80,000 DOE
Schedule: Full-time, in-person
Job type: Direct Hire
- Planning and directing the activities of the Import Department in a way that meets customer needs and satisfies company objectives.
- Manages workflow of the import staff, develops procedures, establishes standards, and administers activities to ensure maximum efficiency and customer satisfaction
- Developing effective communication linkages with the customer and
other functional areas of the firm, which ensure a high level of customer service.
- Responsible for coordinating and supervising all traffic functions relating to freight
movement, maintaining prescribed service levels while keeping costs at a minimum.
Customer Service Management: supervise and coordinate an even, daily workflow among Import Coordinators.
- Coordinate new accounts, gathering all necessary information and assigning
accounts to Import Coordinators. Audit all new accounts and follow up on
responsibilities of the coordinator to assure that customer needs have been met.
- Address the more complex and non-routine customer issues and request.
- Direct and control the release of orders to shipping in a manner that ensures timely
deliver to customers and meet company efficiency goals.
- Direct and oversee order processing and assure that data entries on all documents such as bills of lading and inventory reports are accurate, timely, and cost effective.
-Make recommendations to senior management on programs to improve operation of
the customer service function.
Import Customs Clearance Management: supervise the customs clearance work of the
Import Coordinators. Customs House Broker will comply with CBP compliance
and communicate with customs as necessary. When the law is revised, we will
confirm the details with customs and give guidance to the import staff. Others
include customers BOND management, Post Summery Corrections and PSC’s.
-Interact with other departmental management to achieve goals.
-Attend managers meetings and department meetings.
Scheduling: Direct and supervise the scheduling of incoming and outgoing shipments to
ensure efficient resource utilization and achievement of customer service goals.
- Determine the most economical traffic patterns.
- Interface with Operations to resolve any problems associated with scheduling and dispatching. - Schedule customer pickups as required. Recommend programs to the Operations Manager that improves the traffic function.
Rates: Evaluate and negotiate carrier rates. Prepare rate proposals for prospective
Carrier Services: Arrange for carrier services by specifying routings; preparing tracers on lost
shipments; and preparing and filing claims for damages, lost shipments, and overcharges.
- Evaluate carrier performance and recommend any appropriate changes in mode and/or carrier.
- Assure compliance with all government regulations.
Customer Interfacing Activities: Initiate and maintain a good working relationship with all customers.
- Personally respond to customer inquiries, complaints, inventory status, status of orders, etc.,
in a prompt, courteous, and effective manner.
- Track on-time delivery and other performance measures. Provide necessary reports to management.
Direct the operations of the Import staff to achieve prescribed objectives.
- In collaboration with Human Resources, develop and maintain a productive staff by
creating programs for hiring, training, and professional development.
- Apply sound communication and motivational techniques in supervising, counseling,
and disciplining subordinates. Implement and appropriate performance evaluation system for recommending promotions, wage increases, and terminations.
Reporting: Gather and analyze data concerning department operations and customer requirements.
- Complete all necessary records and reports in a timely and
- Distribute reports to various functional areas as required.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Position requires supervision of the entire Import Department, and knowledge of their job functions is required. Supervision Received
Position requires direct supervision from the Branch Manager and/or respective
Position requires good people skills, communication skills, organizational skills,
computer skills, and leadership skills.
- Education and/or Experience (preferred)
- Experience in customs clearance, freight forwarding and customer service.
- Requires Customs Broker License.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Basic arithmetic is required. Ability to solve and provide recommendations for practical problems preferred.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form a must.